Freitag, 30. April 2010

Nimefika Ifakara

I have arrived in Ifakara for the second and longer leg of this field-research phase. The notoriously flood-susceptible parts of Ifakara were flooded yesterday, when the Lumemo River left its basin. I have witnessed this in 2008 and it is a very unfortunate situation for the vicitims of the floods. It also means electricity cuts and difficult transportation and communication.
While I am waiting I can do other things, like updating this blog (and more research related activities as well). The paper on Ruaha is not yet uploaded but advances quick under these conditions (thank you IHI,TTCIH and SFH for generated electricity).

While my Kiswahili is ridiculous, i just made a very funny experience: somebody spoke to me in 'English', however I understood much more from the Kiswahili translation given by his friend, than from the 'English' original. Now, there are two explanations for this: a) I guess that is similiar to most people here when they experience my Kiswahili, and ask themselves what language I am using. b) What is really interesting is that a similar story was reported to me yesterday. Therefore I am left with the suspicion that this is the latest joke to be played on Wazungus in Ifakara.(There is a small chance that the language was Kipogoro).