Freitag, 23. Januar 2009

really

So, as a matter fo fact, I was interrupted yesterday night by the end of generator's working hours. Otherwise I would have reported yesterday on what the day had wielded. I have witnessed the beefed-up security at UDSM. As I understood, students seem to be divided over the question whether they want to return to the University courses, despite their protests against the fee-scheme not having resulted in the abolishment of fees. Yesterday's Citizen reported of one staff member who seems to be in support of the student bodies who oppose the current fee(subsidizing) structure. Staff, I hear, is also on principle opposed to security forces on the campus. But many students have now reported back to the university to resume teaching. Needless tho say, that universities are important institutions and I would wish that also poor countries, like Tanzania, can have a strong environment for university teaching.
Myself I have not yet contributed much to that. I hope, to do some of this as from today, when - hopefully in posession of my research clearance papers - can do research.

Ah, yes, the evening I spent speaking to doctor Leena Pasanen, from Ilembula Lutheran hospital. Very interesting to see a comparative experience to St. Francis in Ifakara. Very interesting also to see this very dedicated church/mission doctor of today. Her publications, seem to be quite well known (I have not checked this yet).

p.s.: Leena Pasanen on who page:
http://www.who.int/world-health-day/previous/2006/doctors/fin/en/index.html

Greetings from Dar es Salaam, m